Same deal as last time - the winner gets a souvenir from the place!
(Mom, you are automatically disqualifed. Please don't guess! You'll get souvenirs and presents anyway... :-)
Okay, here are the preliminary clues:
1. This place is known by two names simultaneously, in two different alphabets.
2. The name used by locals is derived from that of a mythological nymph.
3. It has been governed by several different powers over the course of time, including Venetian, French and British. It also served as the capitol of a nominally sovereign republic for a short while.
4. Remnants of outside influence include a promenade modeled after the Rue de Rivoli, a cricket field in the center of town, and a surprising taste (by the locals) for Ginger Beer.
5. This place is also the home of a (nearly) world-famous party hostel, whose name has a color in it.