Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Using your IRA to invest in real estate

Did you know that it's possible to invest in real estate with funds from a self-directed IRA?

Yeah, I didn't either until several months ago, when I learned about it from a savvy new client from another state, who I helped purchase in just this fashion, here in Minnesota. I was a little uncertain about how the whole thing worked, so I consulted an estate planning attorney, several custodian firms, and -of course- the internet.

What I found was that it's a surprisingly simple process!

There are some restrictions of course, and it's always wise to consult tax and estate-planning professionals when considering purchasing real estate for any purpose, whether investment or homeownership.

Nevertheless, it's always exciting to learn and share information about new ways to invest in real estate!

No comments: